Saturday, April 11, 2015

Crochet Edged Baby Blankets


So, I've been to Idaho and had a nice long visit with my mom. Of course, while I was there I made several visits to my very favorite craft store (this post explains why I would) and found a number of treasures for Miss Abigail's hope chest. My mom is elderly now and so we tend to just sit and visit. This gives me a wonderful opportunity to do handwork. These pretty two-layer flannel receiving blankets are sold in Porter's as a kit project. The pieces are cut and basted and then machine hemstitched around the raw edge. Machine hemstitching creates beautiful, evenly-spaced holes all along the edge of the blanket, which is perfect for crochet.

Hemstitching was originally a hand sewing technique. Actually, it still is. However, in 1893, a hemstitching machine was developed to mimic this hand-stitching. The most common hemstitching machines had a double needle and double bobbins with a sharp piercer that made holes in the fabric and the two separate needles that sewed the hole open. The hemstitching machines were produced commercially during the early 1900's and were very popular with home sewers in the 1930's and 40's. There are still some hemstitching machines being manufactured but they now cost thousands of dollars. Lucky you if someone in your family owns an antique machine. They are very sturdy and many are still in use. I don't know who sews the hemstitch on these blankets for the store, but I do know they are produced locally. Since I can't find them anywhere else, I always try to get one when I go to Idaho.


There are lots of different designs and patterns for the edging. I'm going to show you how I made the edging for these blankets. The pattern was on a free flyer hanging near the kits and thread. The pattern is called "Xs and Os" and naturally, I had to change it because I liked a half-double crochet stitch better than a single. For this blue blanket, I used DMC Cebelia thread, size 10, with a size 7 steel crochet hook. The second picture shows a close up of the hemstitched edge.

Xs and Os Crochet Edging (US stitches) 

In any hole, cast on with a single crochet. *Skip one hole, half-double crochet in the next hole, chain 3, half-double crochet into the skipped hole. Repeat from *. End with a single crochet in the beginning hole. Fasten off.



As the pattern directs, begin in any hole with a single crochet. Skip the next hole and then make a half-double crochet in the following hole. (Because I wasn't taking pictures of my crocheting in Idaho, this picture shows a continuation of the pattern already begun. Sorry.) Chain three.





Come back and make a half-double crochet in the previously skipped hole. The chain three makes a pretty O and the half-doubles create the X. Just continue the pattern all the way around.



The blue/green blanket was 36-inches square. This pretty purple/green blanket kit is 45-inches square and had a burp cloth included as well. I tried a shiny nylon variegated thread for this blanket, but think I prefer the cotton DMC. Same size thread and hook and the blue.


Short of taking a trip to Rexburg, Idaho, I can't tell you where to find these blankets. There are some hemstitching businesses online. I Googled hemstitched baby blankets, and saw a number of choices. When I do edges without the benefit of hemstitching, I just use the embroidery awl technique that I posted about here. You can try using a single wing needle on your regular zig-zag sewing machine. Several heritage clothing sites have directions or tutorials for this technique, or check You tube for this video that explains how. The wing needle produces holes that can be closer together than the machine hemstitching. Perhaps you can adjust the stitch length or, depending on the crochet pattern you may need to make adjustments to the pattern. For instance, use a single-crochet for the Xs and Os pattern instead of the half-double crochet, or skip more than one hole.

Although I am still working on the Pink and Brown kitchen set, for some reason, babies are on my mind. I'm glad to have these blankets finished for the hope chest.


4 comments:

  1. I'm an experienced hemstitcher for the past 8 years here in Las Vegas. I'm fortunate to own (3) Singer 72-19 hemstitching machines. I noticed in your post that the picture show (2) hemstitched lines with the outer stitching actually being cut between the holes to finish the edge. This was the actual purpose of the hemstitch as an edging as well as the holes. When I make my blankets I first serge the edge and the hemstitch around the serge edge. However, I may try this way as it's intended use of the stitch was to finish the edge of clothing.

    Thank you so much!
    Laurie Velasquez

    BTW: Please check out my website @ https://cuddletymehemstitching.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, thanks for your comment and the link to your website. Your kits look lovely and it is always nice to have a source for these blankets. The serging on your kits is an interesting touch, but as you say, it may be an extra step. The crochet on these blankets, at least, would also cover most of the edge. The Xs and Os pattern is a little more open than most. If you do try the method used on these hemstitched blankets, I might mention that the two flannel pieces in the blanket kits from Idaho are stitched together. This could be to keep the pieces from shifting as they are hemstitched, or maybe just to keep the pieces from shifting later as they are used and washed. They are stitched from the middle of one side to the opposite side, quarter turned and sewn again from the one side to the opposite. This forms a cross in the middle of the blanket. I would imagine it is somewhat frustrating to keep the flannel from shifting as you hemstitch.

      Delete
  2. What is the brand of the blanket kits? Are they only available in the Rexburg Porters or are they available in the Idaho Falls Porters? I'm visiting family this Christmas that lives in Idaho Falls and would love to get a few of these kits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bryanne - there isn't a brand, they are just kits that Porter's makes. They have a local person hemstitch them, I believe. They are in the Idaho Falls store as well as Rexburg, so you can pick up a few there. Lucky you!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...